- Quick Links
- Beware of Scams
- Capital Credits
- Energy Savings
- Energy Education
- The Environment
- Member Assistance
- New Member
- NRECA Youth Tour
- Rate Schedules
- Your Cooperative
- Outage & Safety
- Contact Us
Beware of Scams
Beware of Scams
In the past few years we have seen an increase in scams relating to electric utilities. The scammers contact members by phone and demand payment, threatening to disconnect the power if members don't pay. Some have identified themselves as Salem Electric employees and are very aggressive in their attempt to collect payment by instructing the member to purchase a prepaid credit card, often a "green dot" card. Some scammers are even sophisticated enough to have the caller ID indicate that the call is coming from Salem Electric.
Salem Electric does not do business this way. If you question the validity of the call, please hang up and call our office at 503 362-3601. If someone comes to your door, ask to see photo I.D.
Here are some tips to help you avoid becoming a victim:
- If you receive a call threatening disconnection if you don't provide immediate payment, hang up and call our office.
- Never give out sensitive personal information unless you are the one that instigated the call.
- Only use an authorized payment method. These include mailing a check, dropping your payment in our drop box, bringing your payment to the office during regular business hours, using Salem Electric's AutoPay option, or paying through SmartHub on your computer or mobile device.
- If you pay online, make sure you know who you are paying. If you choose to use a third party payment site rather than a payment method listed above, be aware that you are giving your money to another entity who then gives the money to Salem Electric. We have no knowledge that you made a payment and it can take several days before the payment is received by Salem Electric.
- Make sure you know who you are speaking with. If a Salem Electric employee visits your home or business they will have proper identification. If you question the identity of who is at your door, please call our office at 503 362-3601.
If you have been the the victim of an attempted scam, report the incident to the Oregon Department of Justice Consumer Protection at 877 877-9392.
503-362-3601 | Monday — Friday | 8 am — 5 pm
Like us on Facebook