- Quick Links
- Beware of Scams
- Capital Credits
- Energy Savings
- Energy Education
- The Environment
- Member Assistance
- New Member
- NRECA Youth Tour
- Rate Schedules
- NRECA Youth Tour
- Your Cooperative
- Outage & Safety
- Contact Us
Salem Electric recognizes that we live in a fragile environment, and we're taking action to help preserve it.
Watch this video to learn about clean renewable hydropower
Installing raptor perches and nesting platforms.
Osprey like to nest on high places, so when Salem Electric finds a nest on a power pole, a taller pole with a nesting platform is placed nearby. This attracts the birds to a safe nesting area and helps prevent them from coming into contact with our equipment; avoiding injuries and reducing power interruptions. Over 15 poles with nesting platforms have now been installed in West Salem and Keizer, providing raptors a safe place to perch.
Visit Salem Electric's YouTube channel for a live feed of a nesting platform installed by Salem Electric.
Supporting renewable energy through rate-based renewable energy purchases
Renewable energy is produced by resources such as solar, geothermal and water. Salem Electric buys all of its power from the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA). According to BPA, approximately 85% of their power comes from dams and other renewable sources. The remaining 15% is generated by other means including some non-renewable resources.
Providing educational opportunities for students
In order to promote renewable energy and provide an educational opportunity, a 2.8 kW photovoltaic system and 1.8 kW wind turbine were installed at West Salem High School.
Recycling of office supplies and construction waste
Over 6,000 pounds of office paper is recycled annually. Electronic equipment is donated, re-purposed, or recycled, and thousands of pounds of wire, metal, and wood products are collected and recycled each year.
Promoting paperless billing and electronic newsletters
Salem Electric promotes paperless billing, on-line bill pay, and AutoPay. Approximately half of Salem Electric's members participate in paperless payment and billing options.
An ongoing investment in a variety of utility-funded conservation programs
Because of budgetary fluctuations in BPA-funded conservation in the 1980s and 1990s, Salem Electric's board approved annual budgets to internally fund energy conservation since 1997. A variety of programs are available for residential, commercial and industrial members.
503-362-3601 | Monday — Friday | 8 am — 5 pm
Like us on Facebook