- Quick Links
- Your Cooperative
- Outage & Safety
- Contact Us
Are you prepared for an ice storm?
If the lights go out, know what steps to take to be comfortable and safe. Follow the tips below to be prepared.
- Check your electrical panel. Look for tripped breakers or blown fuses. Try to reset the breakers by switching all the breakers to the OFF position and then back ON.
- Call 503-362-3601 to report the outage. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day, but in the event of a large outage you may receive a busy signal. If you do, please call back or check our website for updates.
- Stay away from downed power lines. Assume they are energized.
- Turn off all major appliances at the breaker including your water heater and heating system to avoid overloading the circuits when the power is restored.
- Unplug any voltage-sensitive equipment to avoid damage. Consider installing surge protectors.
- Switch on an outside light. This assists crews in determining whether or not power has been restored.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. Food will last 12 to 24 hours in a refrigerator if doors are kept closed and a full freezer can last 24 to 48 hours. A sleeping bag or blanket draped over your refrigerator or freezer will add insulation value in case of an extended power outage, just be sure to keep coverings away from air vents.
- Listen to local radio stations for updates and information and check SalemElectric.com for updated outage information.
- Severe storms can increase the number of accidents or medical problems and delay response time for service agencies. Be a good neighbor by checking on each other and lending assistance if needed.
- NEVER WIRE A PORTABLE GENERATOR DIRECTLY INTO YOUR ELECTRICAL PANEL. If not used correctly, portable generators can cause fatal accidents involving the workers on the power lines. Plug appliances into the generator. DO NOT connect household breaker circuits to the generator without a transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician.
503-362-3601 | Monday — Friday | 8 am — 5 pm
Like us on Facebook